Equity in Teaching and Learning
At North Shore School District 112, our Teaching and Learning Department is dedicated to providing culturally appropriate and responsive instructional materials, as well as equipping our teachers and staff with the cultural competencies necessary for effective teaching. We believe that fostering a culturally relevant educational environment is essential for the success and well-being of our diverse student body.
Evidence of Culturally Appropriate and Responsive Instructional Materials:
- When reviewing new instructional materials for board adoption we meticulously evaluate the instructional materials to ensure they are culturally appropriate and responsive to the needs of our students. We make sure that materials reflect diverse perspectives, cultures, and backgrounds, ensuring that our curriculum is inclusive and reflective of all students' experiences.
Cultural Competencies for Teachers and Staff:
- Our educators and staff have been included in book studies that focus on cultural competence, equity, and inclusion. We believe that it is essential for our teachers to have the knowledge and skills to create a supportive and culturally sensitive classroom environment.
- We have carefully chosen representative texts that promote cultural understanding, empathy, and critical thinking among our students. These texts are found in classroom text collections and in all our school libraries.
- We work closely with publishers who provide lists of culturally responsive portions within their texts. This ensures that our students have access to content that reflects their diverse backgrounds and encourages meaningful discussions.
- Our instructional framework is designed to incorporate culturally relevant pedagogical approaches. It emphasizes the importance of recognizing and respecting the cultural backgrounds of our students, making learning more engaging and relatable.
By incorporating these elements into our teaching and learning practices, we aim to create an educational environment where every student feels valued, seen, and empowered to succeed. Our commitment to cultural relevance is not just a goal; it is a guiding principle that shapes our approach to education, ensuring that we meet the unique needs of all our students.